Crispy Fried Chicken – a classic kids’ favorite. A dish most people would have tried at some point in their lives. Fast food chains sell these like hotcakes. However what is alarming is the amount of oil that is involved in frying the chicken. Frozen meat and preservatives are also major concerns while buying store-bought fried chicken.
But there definitely is a way to optimise this favourite to a healthier meal: Crispy Baked Crumb Coated Chicken. Chicken marinated with herbs and spices and crumb coated with a delicious seasoned crumb mix, is a sure treat to your taste buds. The end-result is soft, succulent, flavorful chicken with a lovely golden and crunchy coating on the outside. Say good-bye to deep frying; the good old fried chicken can now be baked and made more healthy. A classic example of how junk can be made healthy too! Served with a side of freshly prepared coleslaw, this meal is heavenly.
Serve these up as starters, main courses, kiddie snack and lunch boxes; the options are just too many.
– 800 grams Chicken (on the bone); cut into medium size pieces
– 2 Eggs
– 3 tablespoons of Milk
– Refined oil
Ingredients for the Dry Spice Rub
– 1 tablespoon Paprika or Kashmiri Chili powder (adjust as per spice tolerance)
– 1 teaspoon Cracked Pepper (adjust as per spice tolerance)
– 1 tablespoon 6 to 7 Garlic powder or cloves of freshly crushed Garlic
– 1 tablespoon Onion powder (optional) Salt; to taste
Ingredients for the Seasoned Crumbs
– 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of Plain Flour
– 1 cup Breadcrumbs
– 1 cup Corn Flakes; coarsely crushed
– 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of Garlic powder (if you don’t have garlic powder leave out this ingredient)
– 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of Onion powder (optional)
– 1 tablespoon Paprika or Kashmiri Chili powder (add more if you like it nice and spicy)
– 1 teaspoon Pepper (adjust as per spice tolerance)
– 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of Dried Rosemary
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and clean the chicken and pat dry with a kitchen towel to absorb all moisture. Make deep gashes on each piece and marinate it with the ingredients listed under ‘Ingredients for the Dry Spice Rub’. Keep aside for at least an hour.
- Take a large mixing bowl and mix together all ingredients listed under ‘Ingredients for the Seasoned Crumbs’. Make sure to mix through well so that all the ingredients are combined evenly. Keep aside.
- Take another bowl and beat together the eggs and milk. Keep aside.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Drench the marinated chicken pieces one by one in the egg and milk mixture and coat well with seasoned crumb mix. Give it a little pat and a shake to hold the crust together and repeat the procedure (dipping and coating with seasoned crumb mix) a second time.
- Arrange the crumb coated chicken pieces on a greased baking tray.
- Drizzle a little oil on each piece of chicken and bake in the oven. Bake for five to seven minutes at 200 degree Celsius and then turn down the heat back to 180 degree Celsius and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take out the baking tray with the chicken and drizzle some more oil on each piece. This step is crucial to avoid drying of the chicken. It helps to keep the chicken moist and succulent.
- Once some more oil has gone onto each piece of chicken, place the tray back in the oven and bake till you get a nice golden crispy crust on the outside and the meat is juicy and cooked through.
- Serve this Crispy Baked Crumb Chicken which has rested for a minute or two with some deliciously Creamy Cabbage and Carrot Coleslaw or just as it is.